Google+

The Night Before Christmas -- Book Review

Disclosure: Parragon Books sent me a copy of this book free of charge. All opinions in my review are my own and I did not receive any other compensation. As always I am providing links to the book for your convenience.

I think everyone know a bit of The Night Before Christmas words. The original poem was first published anonymously on December 23 1823 in the (Troy, New York) Sentinel with the title A Visit from St. Nicholas.  It was sent in by a friend of Clement C. Moore who is believed to have written it though there is some debate. This poem helped shape Santa Claus as we know him today in his image and mode of transportation. (Source) Now are new book of The Night Before Christmas has been put out with it by Clement C. Moore and Harriet Muncaster. Harriet Muncaster did not change any of the words to the famous poem, but did some amazing things with the pictures.
http://www.amazon.com/Night-Before-Christmas-Clement-Moore/dp/1474802281




The pictures in this new book are part illustration and part photograph. I love the sparkly details that the photographs add and the decorative details with in the story. I think one of my favorite pages is of the kids sleeping with the images of the sugar plum fairies dancing in their heads (including the baby).

I also love the photograph of the tree next to their beds. The parents room has a lovely shiny paper chain going across the page as well as the fun tree lights on the bedside tables.


It brings the book a bit to life but the illustrations still create the traditional old feel. I love it!! Hazel also enjoys hearing the story and reading the book herself. She is beginning to say the poem as I start to read it.


This book brings back happy memories. Once when I was advising a youth group at my church we were discussing family Christmas traditions. One of the other advisors brought her very worn copy of The Night Before Christmas. She shared that she read it to her daughters every Christmas Eve and now that her daughters are adults and one lives on the other side of the country it is read over the phone when they cannot all be together for Christmas Eve. What a fun tradition that can continue through the generations. This version of the poem is perfect for the younger children to begin to really fall in love with this classic!! I hope you will check it out!!