Google+

Vacation Week Crafts - a Crafty Weekends Review & Link Party

Disclosure: Tuttle Publishing gave me copies of these books free of charge for this review. All opinions in my review are my own and I did not receive any other compensation. As in all my reviews I am providing links for your ease, but receive no compensation.

This past week was Hazel's spring break. We have had quite the week and a half. The last week of school included Hazel's class's Easter play and my parents came to see her and celebrate Easter with us early. Then my sister came to go to the Museum of Fine Arts on Saturday with us. Then we celebrated with my mother-in-law on Easter Sunday. On Monday we headed to the American Girl Doll Store Boston (which is not in Boston). Hazel had saved almost enough to buy herself a doll. We loaned her the last $30 since we were going. My plan had been to take her so she could really decide which doll she wanted. Seeing the dolls in person helped her really decide which were her top picks. Some that had been top picks fell off the list in person. After a bit of thought she decided on Kit Kitteredge. She LOVES the books about Kit, so I thought this was a wonderful choice.


After her purchase we had lunch in the Bistro at the bar. Hazel was full of smiles with Kit by her side. To remember this fun day and as an idea for her Beforever American Girl Doll birthday party, we made some bottle cap jewelry. I shared previously some of the necklaces we made. We had ordered some bottle caps and epoxy stickers from Amazon using the gift cards I earned through Dealspotr. (Join me at Dealspotr earning your own gift cards by clicking on the button on the right side of the screen. I do earn points if you join.) Hazel chose these adorable pink flower one-inch bottle caps. Using the epoxy stickers made this really easy. Hazel was able to make these almost on her own.

Unfortunately the epoxy sticker distorts the picture a bit when photographed. They look much clearer in person. I made the one of Hazel holding Kit at the Bistro for her. She made the other ones for friends who said they wanted one. We also got the cotton cords at Amazon for them. These necklaces will be favors at her party. We also ordered one-half inch bottle caps and a half-inch circle punch. I shrunk the faces of the dolls down as well as one of Hazel and Kit for these. However they did not have any more of the half-inch epoxy stickers. I used the Dimensional Mod Podge and on some regular Gloss Mod Podge to see what would work better. We have not mastered this yet, so I hope to find some epoxy stickers for them to use for her party.

I made her a charm bracelet with some of her favorite Beforever dolls as charms. This is what we plan to do at her birthday party for a craft. I also made Kit a necklace with a picture of Hazel and Kit at the Bistro.

So the bottle cap jewelry help her remember the fun day of buying her first American Girl doll.


Hazel also has been asking to see the Statue of Liberty. Luckily I have a good childhood friend who lives outside of New York City. We drove to visit her and she planned a fun vacation for us including going to the Statue of Liberty and Central Park. We even stopped at the American Girl Doll Store in New York, but decided we liked our smaller one better. I bought us a few souvenirs and some postcards. I recently received Travel Origami by Cindy Ng. 

This book uses postcards, money, brochures and more to make various origami crafts. Some are functional and some are decorative and fun. The instructions are pretty clear, but could use a few more details in some spots. Before we went I had tried a few crafts using old Christmas cards (the photo ones). 

I made this bow tie using two Christmas cards that were the same size. I also made an origami heart out of a card and out of one of Hazel's play dollars.



After our trip, I made the postcard star. I actually copied the postcards since I thought it would be too stiff and hard to really use them. It takes seven postcards.

The neat thing is it is double-sided. (I found a tutorial here on-line.)



It is a fun decoration and memory as is, but I started thinking it would be fun to use it as a frame for pictures from the trip. Here is what I am thinking, but I still have to figure out how to put them in and want Hazel to have some say on the photographs I use.

I chose a picture from viewing the Statue of Liberty and one of Hazel in Central Park. 



I really love the star and a use for the many postcards we buy. Then adding a picture or two makes it the perfect memory keeper. What do you think? I hope you will check out this fun book!!



Thank you to everyone who shared with us at our last party!! We had an extra large party since it was two weeks due to Easter Sunday last week! 
Below are some features from the party, but this is just a small sample of great ideas shared! This week we have two groups of fun features: Gardening & Flowers and Other Great Crafts.

Also remember for your child-oriented crafts, activities, lessons, etc. Sharing Saturday is going on!! For any cultural related posts (diversity and/or multicultural as well) be sure to share at the month long Creative Kids Creative Blog Hop.

Gardening & Flower Features


1) From Duct Tape & Denim: How to Make a Gumball Machine Fairy Garden

2) From The Real Thing with the Coake Family: Teacher Gifts: Make Stenciled Pots

3) From Clean & Scentsible: Pretty Spring Terrrarium

4) From Do It Your Freaking Self: DIY Flower Crown

5) From My Life from Home: Mini Succulent Arrangements

6) From Creatively Homemade: DIY Flower Party Favors


Other Great Craft Features



1) From Flamingo Toes: Spring Ribbons and Bows Table Runner

2) From Do It Your Freaking Self: Celery Rose Stamp Tea Towel

3) From Growing Up Gabel: DIY Fairy Dust Lip Balm for Kids

4) From Simply {Darr}ling: Easy DIY Bubble Refill Station

5) From Ava's Alphabet: Bunny Footprint Art

6) From My Life from Home: Felt Pillow with DIY Flowers

7) From Lolly Jane: DIY Party Poppers Tutorial

8) From Meaningful Spaces: DIY Wooden Bead Strand

9) From The Scrap Shoppe: DIY Floral Easter Basket

 
Thank you to everyone who shared the last week!! I hope you will share again!! If you are featured here, please feel free to grab a featured button to display proudly on your blog. I would love the help spreading the word about Crafty Weekends!!


Featured Button Code:



 Please share family friendly crafts here. Just crafts and/or patterns--no recipes, lessons, etc. You can share craft product reviews as well. By linking up here you are giving me permission to share your links and to pin your links. Please follow my Crafty Weekends Feature Pinterest Board to see all the features from these fun link parties!





2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing my wood bead strand DIY! I love the inspiration your blog provides!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for hosting and for the feature! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and ideas. Thank you for reading and contributing!